Author SPORT.LES / Published: Jun-2-2020
WE ARE TOGETHER IN THIS: WHAT YOU CAN DO TO COMBAT RACISM
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO COMBAT RACISM, STARTING NOW
THE DEVASTATING CURRENT EVENTS—MOST RECENTLY THE MURDERS OF GEORGE FLOYD, AHMAUD ARBERY, BREONNA TAYLOR—ARE A WAKE-UP CALL FOR MANY LOOKING TO DO BETTER, HELP IN WHATEVER WAY THEY CAN, AND EDUCATE THEMSELVES. AT SPORT.LES WE WANT TO USE ALL OUR PLATFORMS TO HELP THE COMMUNITY, SO WE ARE SHARING SOME ACTIONABLE IDEAS ON HOW TO COMBAT RACISM STARTING TODAY.
When buying books, especially ones to educate yourself on this issue, buy from black-owned bookstores: U.K.: Roundtable Books, Ayebia, African Books Collective, New Beacon Books, Seven Oaks Bookshop. U.S.: Mahogany Books, Harrietts Bookshop, The Lit Bar, and Semicolon Bookstore. Our suggestion is to start with How to Be an Antiracist by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi. Look for Black authors first.
Here are some additional places to donate:
- National Bail Fund: shares a directory of local community bail funds to support.
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund: a fund started by George Floyd's sister to cover the family's funeral and burial expenses, mental and grief counseling, lodging and travel for all court proceedings, and to assist their family in the days to come as we continue to seek justice for George.
- I Run With Maud: a fund started by Ahmaud Arbery's best friend to benefit his mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, and her immediate family with financial support during this extremely difficult time and in their struggle for justice for the murder of Ahmaud Marquez Arbery.
- Color of Change: the nation’s largest online racial justice organization that works to end practices that unfairly hold black people back.
- Brooklyn Community Bail Fund: an organization committed to challenging the racism, inequality, and injustice of a criminal legal system and immigration and deportation regime that disproportionately target and harm low-income communities of colour.
- Phone numbers to call to demand justice for Breonna Taylor are listed in this document.
- Sign the Justice for Big Floyd Petition. The goal is to get to three million signatures. When you sign, the platform will automatically send your message to County Attorney Michael Freeman, who has the power to arrest and charge the police officers involved.
- Sign the #JusticeForBre Petition for Breonna Taylor.
- Text “Floyd” to 551-56. Color of Change will text you back with a link to sign their petition for justice for George Floyd, or simply sign the petition here. Color of Change also has a petition for Breonna Taylor.
- Change.org has many petitions including, Raise the Degree, Justice for George Floyd, and Disbarment of George E. Barnhill, a prosecutor on the Ahmaud Arbery case.
- Black Lives Matter lists additional petitions to sign.